Critical Guidelines: #
Litchi is a non-climateric fruit that matures on the tree and does not further ripen once picked.
- Selective picking to ensure only mature fruit is market.
- Fruit should be kept cool at all times to avoid desiccation and browning.
- Harvesting should take place during the coolest part of the day.
- Avoid picking on rainy days.
When transporting harvested litchi’s:
- Loaded vehicles should be covered with a damp hessian or light coloured tarpaulins to prevent heating and sun injury.