Thai Banana-Litchi Dessert in Coconut Milk
- Gather the ingredients.
- Peel the banana (or bananas) then slice them in half lengthwise. Cut these lengths into smaller sections–roughly 2 inches long.
- Pour the coconut milk into a saucepan or pot and place it over medium-high heat.
- Add the sugar and salt, stirring to dissolve (about 30 seconds to 1 minute). Start by adding 1/4 cup sugar, taste-testing for sweetness. If you'd like it sweeter, add a little more.
- Add the banana and litchis. Continue stirring until the bananas and litchis are warmed through (1 to 2 minutes).
- Serve warm or chill and serve cold.
Serve the banana-lychee soup immediately or cover it and place it in the refrigerator for later. This dessert is excellent served either warm or cold. Chilled is great on hot summer days, while warm is a perfect comfort food during cooler weather. It can be your go-to recipe year-round.
Lychees can be found year-round at Asian food stores or you can resort to using canned lychees for convenience.
Look for lychee that’s at least an inch in diameter with a bright red peel. The fruit should feel bouncy when pressed.
To peel and seed lychee, use a sharp paring knife to slice through and remove the peel. Score around the fruit and pull the two sides apart, similar to seeding an avocado. The seed should be attached to one side and can easily be removed.