Chicken and Litchi in Sween and Sour Sauce
Chicken and lychee in sweet and sour sauce. Best served immediately with some steamed white rice.
500 gram skinless boneless chicken thigh, cut into bite-sizes
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 inch ginger, grated
2 tablespoon oil
1 onion, thinly sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 red chilies (or 1 red bell pepper), cut into 1 inch squares
1 can (565 gram / 20 oz) of lychee in syrup, drained but reserve syrup for making the sauce
cornstarch slurry (1/2 tablespoon corn starch + 1 tablespoon water)
2 scallions, thinly sliced diagonally
Lychee syrup sweet and sour sauce
1/2 cup tomato ketchup
1/2 cup syrup from the can of lychee
1/2 cup drinking water
2 tablespoon plum sauce (or substitute with apricot preserves/orange marmalade)
1 tablespoon light soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
1 tablespoon sugar
- Marinate chicken thigh with cornstarch, salt, and grated ginger for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix all the sauce ingredients in a bowl and set aside. You can actually adjust the taste of the sauce at this stage with salt and sugar. :)
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a wok and sauté onion, garlic, and red chilies until the onion looks wilted and slightly translucent, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add marinated chicken into the pan and stir until no longer pink, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Pour the sweet and sour sauce into the pan and bring to a boil. Mix well and adjust taste as needed.
- Add the lychee and mix well. Thicken the sauce with cornstarch slurry.
- Turn off heat, transfer to a serving plate and garnish the sliced scallions. Serve immediately with steamed white rice.